Au Cheval Inspired Burger
I want to say I was the hipster of Au Cheval... I was there before it was cool.
Nonetheless, whenever I return to Chicago, I always make sure I stop by Au Cheval despite it's 3-5 hour wait!
Their burgers are the most heartwarming (an potentially heart stopping) meals ever. I want to say they were one of the pioneers that popularized eggs on top of burgers back in 2012? The creamy yolk, voluptuousness of the dijon-mayo sauce, and fatty burger is a symphony of richness. Contrasting with the bite of the onion, hidden layers of dill pickles, and finally chased with a pallet-cleansing dill pickle. I'd take this over any three Michelin-starred restaurant.
- Two 1/4 pound 85/15 ground beef (you could potentially go for 90/10 for extra richness)
- Two slices of cheddar cheese
- Toasted brioche bun
- One fried egg
- Minced red onions
- Dijon-mayo sauce (literally dijon mustard, mayo, squirt of lemon juice, s&p all mixed together)
- Slices of dill pickle
- Quarter spear of dill pickle
- Smother sauce on both sides of the bun
- Layer red onions on the top bun and fan out sliced dill pickle
- Fry burgers in clarified butter on med-high heat
- Flip the burger
- Fry the egg to your liking (preferably runny)
- Layer the cheese on the burgers and let it melt for 10 seconds
- Stack the two burgers on lay on top of the bottom bun
- Place the egg on the top bun
- Plate the burger